The number of registered .za domain names managed by ZACR have officially exceeded 1.2 million for the first time. According to data from the South African domain registry, ZA Central Registry, the current number of .za domains is 1,203,613 – as at 1 pm 20th November 2018.
- .co.za is the most popular by far, with 1,177,326 domains, being 97.81% of the total .za domains.
- It is distantly followed by .org.za with 22,578 domains, being 1.87% of the total .za domains.
- The next in line is .web.za with 1,870 domains, being 0.15% of the total .za domains.
- Bringing-up the rear is .net.za with 1,839 domains, being 0.15 of the total .za domains.
.ZA domains have the highest registration by far, in Africa. As at today, Morocco’s .MA has 70,822 active domains, Kenya’s .KE has 85,767 active domains while Nigeria’s .NG has 128,078 domains at the end of October 2018.
.co.za domains dominate the Alexa popularity ranking among the .za extensions managed by ZACR:
- google.co.za – leading global search engine
- gumtree.co.za – South African classifieds website
- fnb.co.za – First National Bank
- mybroadband.co.za – a South African tech magazine/website
- junkmail.co.za – a South African classifieds website
- iol.co.za – a news website
- tripadvisor.co.za – a travel website
- bidorbuy.co.za – a South African classifieds website
- makro.co.za – a major shopping website
- timeslive.co.za – a news website
The listed .za domain extensions stats apply to those managed by ZACR only – ac.za, .edu.za, .gov.za, .law.za, .mil.za, .nom.za, .school.za are managed by other institutions and are not included in the stats above.