As of June 2022, 7 African countries have live commercial 5G networks with a few more planned. Most of the live 5G networks are in Southern African countries.
- South Africa: rain (Sept 2019), Vodacom (May 2020), MTN (June 2020)
- Madagascar: Telma Madagascar (June 2020)
- Seychelles: Cable & Wireless (July 2020)
- Togo: Togocom (Nov 2020)
- Mauritius: Mauritius Telecom / MyT Mobile (July 2021)
- Botswana: Mascom (Feb 2022)
- Zimbabwe: Econet Wireless (Feb 2022)
Honourable mention: Vodacom Lesotho launched a 5G network back in August 2018 but it is not open to the general public as a mobile service. It is deployed as a fixed wireless service currently being used by large enterprises.