I was privileged to be at last night’s Skunkworks meeting. The 2-hour meeting held at KCCT Teleposta Towers focused on a new project aimed at physically bringing the tech community in Nairobi & environs together.
The audience included staff from Kenyan Youth Fund, staff from Kenyan ICT Board, freelancers, application developers, 4 members of the iHub project, a journalist amongst others.
Erik of Ushaidi spoke at lenght about the new iHub project. The following were extracted from his answers to questions to the audience. iHub would amongst other things:
- serve as an incubator for entrepreneurs, in a secured environment
- offer basic infrastructure
- link Venture Capitalists with potential entrepreneurs
- both open-source and proprietary projects are welcome
- serve as a platform for problem-solving
- focused on techies
- be based on meritocracy, guys doing cool stuff would be given preferential treatment
- host IT-related events and meetings
- bring people interested in tech together, around Nairobi