FNB Connect is a voice and data cellular service offered by the South African financial institution, FNB. It is essentially a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that piggybacks on the Cell C network.
Established as far back as 2009, FNB Connect started out as by offering ADSL internet connectivity to residents of South Africa. It has today evolved into a mobile communications provider with hundreds of thousands of active subscribers.
The service is very easy to sign-up for, especially when you are already an FNB account holder. You can either sign-up from the FNB internet banking platform on your PC or smartphone app, or you can visit an FNB branch with your ID.
To qualify for any of the FNB Connect packages, you need:
- have a qualifying account with FNB;
- be 18 years old or older;
- have an SA ID or valid non-SA Passport with a valid Resident’s Visa/Permit
FNB Connect offers 7 main types of plans:
- Prepaid SIM: this comes with a free SIM card and allows you to top with airtime or bundles at any time. You can also earn back up to 15% on your monthly spends, depending on your eBucks reward level. You are also entitled to some free data, airtime and or SMS – depending on your FNB relationship.
- Talk Max & Talk Max Pro: this option offers anytime unlimited voice calling, within certain terms/conditions.
- Lifestyle Plans: top-up or postpaid options that offer a wide range of voice, data or SMS options.
- Data Plans: data-only plans that offer extra data bonuses based on usage.
- Flexi Plans: these plans allow you to custom-build the combination of voice, SMS or data that is perfect for your need.
- Contracts: these are typically bundled with Lifestyle plans and include devices like laptops, tablets or smartphones that are payable over 24 months.
- Business Plans: these are intended for sole proprietors and include multiple plans that offer a combo of voice, SMS or data.
Most of the populated parts of South Africa are well-covered by their 2G, 3G and or 4G/LTE network.
FNB Connect offers a wide range of devices including Tablets, Phones, Laptops, their Accessories, TVs, Game Consoles, Printers / Projectors, as well as Health / Fitness devices from Apple, Sony, Samsung, HP, Lenovo, Nokia, Xbox, LG, Huawei, CAT, Fitbit, Suunto, Hisense, Garmin, Asus, Nintendo, msi, Epson and marpahones.
The FNB Connect plans most definitely offer value for money, especially on the higher plans. The company also offers so many different plans that there’s something for everyone’s use-case.
While the services are relatively affordable, the network coverage is not as strong nor as extensive as those of the established cellular networks Vodacom and MTN. There are patches of zero coverage here and there even in well-populated urban areas.
hlw i would like to know whic data i can buy for my simcard am using FNB connect am strugling to buy those bundles. please help me on that problem my school want to buy bundles for me bt cant send money only alowed to buy data only
You can buy bundles through the FNB mobile apps or internet banking platform.
Hi, I would like to buy myself an fnb contract phone, All I would like to know is if it is possible to use a different sim card on the phone, or do I have to use the fnb simcard